Saturday, February 17, 2024

Babies and Children: Innocent or Sinners? When are they accountable?


 Jim: I agree with you Jerry on that part (Psalms 51:5).


Brad: Innocent baby does not know sin that was written by King David

PSALM 58:3—HOW CAN AN INNOCENT CHILD BE WICKED FROM THE WOMB?

PROBLEM: Over and over the Bible speaks of the innocence and guiltlessness of little children (cf. Deut. 1:39) who do not “know to refuse evil and choose the good” (Isa. 7:15), and who are part of the kingdom of God (Matt. 18:3–4; cf. Rom. 9:11). Yet, in this verse David insists that “the wicked are estranged from the womb; they go astray as soon as they are born, speaking lies.” But, if a baby is morally guiltless, then how can he or she speak lies?

SOLUTION: It is clear that this cannot refer to actual sins, but only potential ones, since the baby has not yet developed its moral consciousness and responsibility. The Scriptures clearly speak of “children not yet being born, nor having done any good or evil” (Rom. 9:11). The sense in which a person is “sinful at birth” (Ps. 51:5, niv) is by way of inclination, not by way of moral action. All persons are “by nature children of wrath” (Eph. 2:3) because they are born with a tendency to sin, but they are not born in sin in reality. The condemnation over the head of everyone who comes into Adam’s race is judicial guilt, not personal guilt. We stand condemned before God because “all sinned” in Adam our representative (Rom. 5:12). This situation can be summarized as follows.
This excerpt is from When Critics Ask: A Popular Handbook on Bible Difficulties (Wheaton, Ill.: Victor Books, 1992). © 2014 Norman Geisler and Thomas Howe. All rights reserved. Used by permission.

Testimony:

Babies are not innocent, they are sinners, inheriting the sin nature from their parent. They are not accountable for their sins until:
...when he knows enough to reject the wrong and choose the right...Isaiah 7:14.

There is no "age of accountability" when they pass from being innocent to sinner...rather the child's accountability begins when they "know enough to reject the wrong and choose the right" based on the law of God in their conscience (Romans 2:14-16).

Frequently lost in the discussion regarding the age of accountability is the fact that children, no matter how young, are not “innocent” in the sense of being sinless. The Bible tells us that, even if an infant or child has not committed personal sin, all people, including infants and children, are guilty before God because of inherited and imputed sin. Inherited sin is that which is passed on from our parents. In Psalm 51:5, David wrote, “Surely I was sinful at birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me.” David recognized that even at conception he was a sinner. The sad fact that infants sometimes die demonstrates that even infants are impacted by Adam’s sin, since physical and spiritual death were the results of Adam’s original sin.

Each person, infant or adult, stands guilty before God; each person has offended the holiness of God. The only way God can be just and at the same time declare a person righteous is for that person to have received forgiveness by faith in Christ. Christ is the only way. John 14:6 records what Jesus said: “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, except through Me.” Also, Peter states in Acts 4:12, “Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved.”

https://www.gotquestions.org/age-of-accountability.html


Until that time, God's grace covers the child and they will go to heaven since they are are unaware of their sin nature.

Here is my experience.

I was born in the flesh on November 19, 1958.

I have fleeting memories of going to Church that grew clearer as I grew up.

1962 was when I was 4 years old my memories of Sunday School and Church was clear in my memory.

1964 I was six years old. My Sunday School teacher was Joyce Newton, the Pastor of Foothill Baptist Church was Dan Lambert who was blind.

It was early spring, when we met at the Altaville Seventh-day Church. Behind the pulpit was the ten commandment written large on the wall. I was aware of the Law. In the Sunday School class I was aware of Jesus and the gospel.

On this particular Sunday our Church celebrated the communion. Children did not partake of the bread and grape juice, but we did hear of Jesus' body being broken and His blood shed. I was under conviction and wept for Jesus, as a good man, dying a horrible death. I did not know I was a sinner for whom Jesus died for.
From 1964 to 1969 I was aware that I was sinning when I did bad and wicked things. I was memorizing Bible verses about the law and salvation from sin. I was aware my soul was in jeopardy, but could not reach out in saving faith.

In 1969, I was 11 years old, During Vacation Bible school I memorized Romans 5:8. I was fully aware that I was a sinner for whom Jesus died for. It was an intellectual faith in the facts, but I still did not believe on Jesus as my Savior.

Foothill Baptist moved to downtown Angels Camp and met in the Odd Fellows Hall.

Then in 1970 (when I was 12 years old) from January to March for the Spring Quarter our attendance chart featured a crown of thorns. Every Sunday we would paste a square on the poster for eleven weeks until a new picture emerged...a jeweled crown.

On March 22, 1970, one week before Easter, our Pastor, Dan Lambert, who was blind and preached in braille, preached on the Crown of Thorns and the Jeweled Crown.

I understood from the sermon that I was the sinner for who Jesus was beaten and crucified. My sins were like me placing the crown of thorns on Jesus' head every time I do not receive by faith Jesus as my Savior.

But if I believed in Jesus and became a Christian, then according to Revelation 4:

9 Whenever the living creatures give glory, honor and thanks to him who sits on the throne and who lives for ever and ever, 10 the twenty-four elders fall down before him who sits on the throne and worship him who lives for ever and ever. They lay their crowns before the throne.

I can lay my crowns at Jesus' feet because Jesus is worthy of being crowned King of kings and Lord of Lords.

I was under great conviction when the invitation was given. The hymn "Just as I Am" was played.

I remember the voice of the Holy Spirit encouraging me to believe and receive Jesus as my Savior...but another voice was saying I was too young, the adults of the Church would not believe I was saved, and that I could wait until I was older.

I believed in Jesus and went to Pastor Lambert, taking his hand to let him know I accepted Jesus as my Savior.

After the service my parents were brought up. Pastor Lambert asked if I knew what it means to believe in Jesus, I quoted Romans 5:8 and said it taking God at His word that He sent Jesus to save me from my sins and to live for Him after I am saved. Pastor Lambert entrusted my parent to disciple me in the faith.

I was baptized at First Baptist Church (SBC), Sonora, Ca on March 28th, 1970 on Saturday, a day before Easter.

It has been 54 years of growing and learning how to live for the Lord. A lot more downs than up...but through it all God's grace has sustained me.

Had I died between 1964 and 1970...God would have been just and right to send me to hell. I was a child who was a sinner, sinning against God and His law and consciencely remaining in unbelief against the truth of the gospel. But I thank God for His grace and mercy that spared me until the Holy Spirit brought me to faith in Jesus for the redemption of my soul.

It has been 54 years of growing and learning how to live for the Lord. A lot more downs than up...but through it all God's grace has sustained me.

No comments:

Post a Comment